Popular Posts

Monday, November 29, 2010

Vocabulary wall in the classroom




I call this my Story Blasters wall. I went to training with Nancy Fetzer and learned how important vocabulary development is. If you ever get the chance to go to her training I highly recommend it. She is full of knowledge and full of energy. Here is what I do with my vocabulary wall:

Day one: I pick 5-7 vocabulary words from the story that I think are important. I print out the words along with a picture and put it in my pocket chart. I also use the vocabulary words to write my own story.

Day two: we read my story together and look for the vocabulary words in it. I use yellow highlighter tape to highlight the vocabulary words.

Day three: we reread the story and then the students can either copy one of my sentences and illustrate it or they can use the vocabulary words and write their own story.

Day 4-7: the students practice reading the story for fluency practice.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a good solid method to teach new words.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete